Charles Knox

baby

Cecily Blanche

baby

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In Disguise--Slipcovers

There are many wonderful home renov/updates taking place in the Rogers household. First, we sold Gabby The Galant this past Saturday. She sold after only being listed two days! YAY! We're using the money made from Gabby's sale to put back into the house. Those pictures of those changes will come later.

I'm currently fighting the good battle of sewing slipcovers for our couch and oversized chair. I'm quite excited about this project. Not only will it polish off our worn (but still shape sturdy furniture), but I'm able to do it for a decent price. Prefabricated slip covers aren't cheap and they wouldn't look so great on our giant couch and chair. Plus, we're wanting to polish up our bright colors.

I found a rust colored fabric at Hobby Lobby. Still in the red family, just a tiny bit more subdued. I wanted a print or pattern, but a very muted one that would work well with other prints and patterns. I lucked up with my chosen fabric--I love the faint small diamond pattern mixed with the green and maroon itty-bitty dots. PERFECT for what we already have--tons of green accents throughout the downstairs. On top of that the upholstery fabric was only $10 per yard, quite cheap for such a heavy fabric. AND on top of that, it was 30% OFF! I had to order an entire bolt of fabric for the couch, but was able to bring some fabric home to start working on the chair. I'm quite excited that I spend only $170 to recover two large pieces of furniture--way better than buying new furniture, especially when ours is only 5 years old. The dogs have just reeked havoc on the cushions. I will have to spend a little bit more because I'm creating completely new back cushions due to the smushed and gnawed cushion corners.

I'm sewing these slipcovers as pieces, so that the finished look won't be so slouchy like many slipcovers can be. The first piece I've worked on is the base, with the seat and back cushions to follow. I wanted the hardest part done first! I'm quite surprised with how well it turned out. I just pinned the bottom hem and only have one mishap to fix. It's already passed the daddy-seal-of-approval! :) I can't wait to get this chair completely finished, but looks like it won't be until next week--Knox and I are headed back to AL/TN for the next few days, leaving Daddy to fend for himself for a bit. Don't worry, he'll be busy with those other home renovs I mentioned earlier! YAY!


This is the best color pic of the fabric--isn't it fabulous???

You can tell that I haven't hemmed it yet--the front will hang more flush once it is hemmed. Can you see the boo-boo?



I'm thrilled with how the arms turned out!

This is the boo-boo. I'm completely happy with only one mistake and should be fairly easy to fix. Besides, once the cushions are in place it won't be noticeable anyway! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you are doing this. What a great skill to have!! I have a sewing machine just sitting in my closet. I absolutely have to learn how to use it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed. I'm going to have to make one for our couch when we move. Can't move a red couch into a celery green room!

    ReplyDelete