Charles Knox

baby

Cecily Blanche

baby

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hold on to your hats!

Well, not really. But it got you here! Haha! Just thought I'd share my Tuesday night "excitement." In conjunction with my efforts to save money with groceries, I spent part of tonight making chicken stock. Yay. Right? Yay is right, if you use the stuff in rice, pastas like orzo and soups. It adds tons of flavor with not as much fat as butter.

After being cooked--should have taken a before pic of everything I put in.

I've been buying chicken on the bone, since it's so much cheaper than boneless, skinless breast (and much more flavorful), I've been keeping the bones in a zip lock in the freezer. Tonight I had enough to make stock, after cooking three more breast for yummy chicken hash (idaho & sweet potatoes with onions, bell peppers, poblano peppers and garlic)--and about one breast leftover for another meal this week.


It's SOO easy! The only hard part is straining it. I strain mine through coffee filters too, to get as much fat out as possible. I threw all the bones in a large pot of water, with a cut onion WITH skins still on (gives stock great color!), a few carrots, a few stalks of celery, two cracked garlic cloves and 45 minutes later on simmer you have a beautiful liquid gold! ;) It probably only cost me $1 to make 16 or more cups of chicken stock. How's that for excitement?!


For those of you who weren't as entertained by that wild action, and have made it this far into the post, here's Knox and one of his other new favorite things to do:

No comments:

Post a Comment