Charles Knox


Cecily Blanche


Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Rediscovery of the "Magic" Machine

If you've been keeping up-to-date with the last few posts, you know we've had a doozie of the past few weeks.  This was extended into the weekend with me getting a cold for my birthday (which was an absolutely fabulous one, by the way!), and quickly followed to me sharing the bug with Knox.

Not only has Knox been sick with one thing or another the past few weeks, but he hasn't been sleeping well in the mornings.  Since, oh I don't know, November or December maybe, Knox not been able to sleep past 6:30 in the morning--though 6:00 was the norm.  We do the same routine each night, and he sleeps VERY soundly until 6:00ish and we'd let him kinda whine until 6:30, when we'd either put him in bed with us or get in the bed in his room.  That's when he thought the party was starting, since he was ready to roll around with the dogs and play.  Since the beginning of 2009, the 6ish became more of a 5:30ish--YUCK!  I know most of this was due to his teeth initially (which are huge bulges in that little mouth--all four one-year molars, too!)  Of course, we all know why he hasn't been able to sleep the past few weeks.  Nap time was very similar, in that he simply DID NOT sleep for longer than an hour and a half.  And that was once a day.

During most of Knox's first year, I kept his cool-mist humidifier on constantly.  The only reason we quit using it was for me to clean (it was NASTY!), and with my urge to unplug everything, we just never refilled it.  So, I decided to give it a whirl once more, just to see if it would help baby boy.  The first attempt was two nights ago, and I woke up yesterday absolutely freaked out--and rested.  It was 6:30 before I heard the first peep, and 7:00 before he was really whining.  Was it a fluke?  Maybe, maybe not.

We haven't been to the gym since Thursday, with Knox's second rash, then our colds.  We did manage to get out for a bit to get some errands done.  Even though he slept until almost 7am, he was conked out in the car by 10am.  When we got home, I changed his diaper and turned on all of his "necessities"--sound machine, fan, heater and now humidifier.  That boy slept for 3 hours and 20 minutes, until I went in to wake him up!

I was thrilled again this A.M. when I woke up at 6:30 on my own, habit now I guess, and I was freaked out again--no peep to be heard.  Knox didn't make his first peep until 7:15!!!!!!!!  WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!  Fluke, I think NOT!  So moral to this story of the "magic" machine, is that if you have a wee little one and don't have a cool mist humidifier--GET ONE!  (Too bad I can't get endorsement deals for this little blub. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment